In these 17 centuries of its existence, as a city full of tradition and magnificent natural and cultural heritage, it has managed to hide many of the secrets that we will now expose!
It all started 1700 years ago when the Diocletian’s eminence recognized the potential and beauty of the territory under Marjan and decided to build a retirement palace at the same place.Certainly, this is a place especially, when we look through history, Diocletian was the only Roman emperor who had departed from the throne with his will. Today’s walk through the city is like a journey through time abounding with a multitude of cultural, historical, and natural sights. The protector of the town is Saint Dujam whose cathedral is located in the very heart of the palace. What fascinates every tourist is the fact that Diocletian’s palace is inhabited, and as such is the only one in the world!
The most beautiful and most interesting to visit are the Diocletian Cellars! Split is the city of many underground mysteries. Of many well-known and unknown war bunkers, we find today through abandoned railway tunnels and the entire underground military base as two found in Žrnovnica. Definitely, the most interesting ones are from antique times. According to the idea of Emperor Diocletian, a new type of palace was created. Cellars of palace represent one of the best-preserved antique complexes of this kind in the world, making it a UNESCO World Heritage List (1979).
Interesting but never-proven legend says that Marjan was once a Volcano! Only the name Marjan (Greek word Marulianus) means to extinguish. The famous professor of geography Milan Senoa wrote Marjan is a volcano, but at first glance, everybody will certify each one by the rocks of the limestone. “Marjan is a gentile creature of God!” Apart from an interesting legend, Marjan is a favorite gathering place for recreation and bathers for untouched nature. In its heights on the southern slopes are hidden many churches and caves.
Sphinx at Peristyle
The heart of the palace is Peristil, where is located the cathedral of the patron of the city St.Dujam. The first look at the peristyle and immediately my eyes jump on the magnificent black sphinx made of black granite, about 3 meters long. It was probably made in the 15th century BC. Only the name of the Greek means to suffocate, in the Greek mythology, Sphinx would suffocate anyone who did not know the answer to their riddle.
The most famous Sphinx riddles
“What creature walks on four feet in the morning, at noon to two, and in the evening at three?”
“They are two sisters. One gives birth to the other, who in turn gives birth to the first. What are the two sisters?”
Do you know the answers?
Name of town
The city has repeatedly changed its name through history. It is assumed that in the area of today’s city center, in the ancient times there was the settlement Aspalathos / Spalatos (Greek word). The origin of his name is derived from a Calinoptera plant, a Calicotome villosa plant, which grows abundantly here. The Greek name for it is aspalathos (ασπάλαθος). According to the second theory, the name originated from the Latin word, as an augmentation to the word palace, from the “spalato”.
And to pass this article not to mention the soul of this city! One of the interesting facts about the establishment of the club itself! NK Hajduk was founded on 13.02.1911 after the students of the city of Split: Fabijan Kaliterna, Vjekoslav Ivanišević, Lucija Stella and Ivan Šakić brought the first football ball from Prague! With the help of Vladimir Sore and Professor Josip Barač, who gave the club the name Hajduk (after the mentioned students ran to the office like the rebels).